Brigg's House c. 1836
In June of 1815, David Stearns of Vermont became the first permanent white settler in what is today North Olmsted. The site of his farm is marked with a plaque on the north side of Lorain Road, just west of Stearns Road. Two years later, Thomas and Abiah Briggs arrived with their six children from Guilford, Vermont. They settled on land east of the Stearns homestead. Thomas Briggs served with David Stearns and Postmaster Elias Frost as an officer in Lenox Township which became Olmsted Township in 1830.
The Briggs House remained in the family for over 130 years until being given to the Olmsted Historical Society and moved to Frostville in 1969. Society members, Marion (Elliot) Crider and her brother, Will Elliot, are descendants of Thomas Briggs. Another member, Harry Crider courted Marion while she lived in the house. Robert Crider, like his parents, is also active in the society. He has made generous donations to restore the Frostville Village Church.
Olmsted Historical Society - Frostville Museum
Visit a house by clicking on the house name.